Monday, May 23, 2011

Left the grocery store with a broken heart

No it's not a new country song, it's honestly the way I felt when I left the supermarket today.  Trying to become more aware of my own plastic habits has made my eyes painfully open to the overwhelming amount of plastic that we are surrounded by everywhere we go. As I walk up and down each isle I suddenly feel the desire to cry and scream. "Look at all this plastic!!!! Where is it all going to end up??? Why are we doing this to ourselves????" Plastic shampoo bottles and plastic drink bottles and plastic baby bottles and plastic laundry detergent, plastic salad dressing, plastic ketchup... the list goes on endlessly. The more I look, the worse I feel and the sadness deepens when I realize how much of this plastic I need to take home with me.  Now of course I avoided the obvious plastic bags at checkout by bringing my own bags, and I just put loose veggies in my cart to avoid those bags until the cotton mesh produce bags I ordered from Amazon arrive, but what about everything else??? Some produce is already pre-packaged in plastic like strawberries, blueberries, grapes, celery, among others. Now pretty soon I will have my own strawberries to pick in the back yard, but in the meantime I am FORCED to accept yet another plastic, single use container or not buy strawberries. Which is the lesser of two evils??? Not being able to give my daughter a healthy lunch or adding more plastic to her diet and the environment??? Every loaf of bread in the store is wrapped in plastic, sometimes DOUBLE wrapped... what is that all about???? I think my next adventure will be making my own breads. I enjoy baking and I think making fresh bread will be very rewarding... I'll blog about how it comes out in the future and if anyone has any good recipes, feel free to let me know. When I got home I felt very sad and almost hopeless about the plastic situation. I will always do my part as much as I can and I hope my blog inspires others to do the same... as soon as I get some more followers!! But sometimes it feels like there is no way out of this plastic infested, chemical laden, consumerist society we live in. A friend of mine is building a house with her fiance and intends to live as close to nature and as far off the grid as possible.  I envy her and admire her and hope to one day be her neighbor!

3 comments:

  1. Chrystal you have really made me stop and think about all the plastic we have to purchase I will try to become more aware....I love your blogs keep up the good work...Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gina... that means a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow crystal...I always thought about the obvious ( bags, fruit & vege containers) but I never even thought about the shampoo,ketchup, bread!! I know you are going to come up w something .... I'll be looking for it in your next blogs!! (& the bread recipe!)

    ReplyDelete