Sunday, February 5, 2012

What can I say about dirt?

Oh how I love thee... let me count the ways... no seriously, I really do love dirt! I love getting my hands in the dirt and planting tiny seeds and watching them grow into amazing plants that in return give me healthy fresh veggies to eat. Well today I gave my garden a present... compost! I bought a composter 2 years ago and started throwing leaves, twigs, egg shells and fruit and veggie skins into it and viola... 2 years later I have some fresh, nutrient rich soil to add to my garden!
 I find the concept of decomposition totally amazing and totally worth doing. The composter I have is made out of plastic... gasp! Yes I know, plastic is evil! Anyway, it is a big black drum that has a handle on the side to make it easy to turn. Unfortunately, plastic being what it is, the handle dried out from the elements and just broke on me! I can still turn it without the handle, but I will be contacting the mfr for a replacement. So if you are ever wondering what to do with all your fruit and veggie skins... go out and get yourself a composter... your garden will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment